Sunday 23 September 2018

Lucky Raptor Day Today


     I was planning on a trip to Spurn Point today but
     was put off by the weather forecast for the east
     coast and Im glad I did now as I had a cracking
     couple of hours at a local spot. and it was nice to
     bump into another novice birder like myself in Mick A.

    Plenty of Meadow Pipits fluttering about and a Skylark
    and then a Diamond of a bird although at a distant by the
    time I got my camera ready a Hen Harrier, 20 mins later
    a Barn Owl popped up that nearly landed on my shoulder
    Ive never been so close to a wild Barn Owl so I was over
    the moon, 10 minutes later a Merlin came flying past and
    then a Short Eared Owl at a long distance but still great
    to see it hunting, a Buzzard also flew over.

    I wish every day was like today, long may it continue.
    I almost forgot about the 8 Kestrel that were seen.


 








7 comments:

Brian Sumner . said...

Chuffing eck, that Barn Owl must have been sat on your wing mirror.
Just missed the Hen Harrier by minutes.
Was you on Manual ? your settings are bang on.

Dave Brotherton said...

Yes manual Brian, yeah the Barney was nearly on my shoulder I couldn't believe my luck. The harrier was on a fence by the roadside but by the time I got camera ready it was away towards Oxenhope.

Bradshaw Rambler said...

Great Barn Owl picture Dave.
You'd think with those eyes the Barn Owl would need Sun glasses!
The few Barn Owl pics I've had, have always been in dull conditions where the bird seems to reflect in the photo(s).
Nice One.
John

Dave Brotherton said...

Just lucky today John

Steve Midgley said...

Cracking shots Dave.

Marrop said...

It was good to meet you Dave

Dave Brotherton said...

You too Mick