Thursday 1 November 2018

Hawfinch Hunt

 
  Day off work today so I decided to go looking for
  Hawfinch after a report that they'd been seen in Ilkley,
  but sadly I couldn't locate any along with 5 other birders
  and it wasn't for the lack of trying but still I had an
  enjoyable day though all the birds were very flighty.
  the cemetery where the Hawfinch had been seen had
  lots of Redwing but again very flighty, Blackbird, Wren,
  Dunnock, House Sparrow, Goldfinch, Goldcrest, Blue Tit,
  Great Tit, LTT's, Greenfinch, Robin and Mistle Thrush.

  I then took a walk along the riverbank and was asked
 3 times if I was filming wildlife and that a few Heron,
 Terns and Kingfishers were about which I was grateful
 for but I couldn't locate the Terns. Its definitely a place
 I'll go too again. Along the path were Wren, Jay, Dipper,
 Heron, 5 Goosander , in the air were Buzzard, Kestrel and
 Sparrowhawk, just a shame most were at too far at a distance
 for a decent photograph or too dark deep in woodland.
 Woodpecker was heard, Kingfisher flew past and a Nuthatch
 was also seen in the cemetery.



































  

3 comments:

Brian Sumner . said...

Nice try Dave, unlucky but they are very illusive. Several birders had quite a few visits last year before picking them up. At least you had a good days birding in a nice area.
If its any consolation I,ve had 1 in 50 years of birding although I,ve never gone looking for them specially. Mine was at Cavendish wood, Bolton Abbey years ago. Keep trying.

Bradshaw Rambler said...

Hi Dave
Sue and I tried several times last autumn but missed out as well.
Still as Bri says it's a nice place to while away the hours
Up stream 5mins beyond the park there is a small copse that is interesting as well.
John

Dave Brotherton said...

I will Bri lol, Ive never seen one so it'll be a lifer for me.
Yes its a lovely spot John I walked on the river path walking away from Ilkley
and there was plenty of action, saying that tho the graveyard was busy
but super hard to get a decent shot.
A bloke at work who's a proper twitcher was telling me how elusive they
are especially if theirs only a single bird.