Tuesday 14 February 2017

Valentines Day Special ( LSW )


    Got a message through the grapevine that 5 Whooper Swans
    were at Ogden, so got myself ready for the journey over there
    but then got a message that they'd flown off so was a bit gutted,
    I then decided to hit Soil Hill and Taylor Lane, nothing but crows
    at Taylor Lane, had a look for the Little Owl on the way up to Soil
    Hill but no sign of it, I then had a walk around the hill where there
    were 8 Skylark, 3 Meadow Pipit a Wren and 30+ Lapwing in the
    bottom fields and NK doing his rounds, hope he had better look than
    me, I then took a trip down Park Lane where it was much better, GSW,
    Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Blue, Great and Coal Tits, Goldfinch, Robin,
    12 Brambling, Collared Dove, Blackbird, Jay. As I was getting a bit
    cold in one spot I decided to take a trip down to Coach Road and I'm
    so glad I did as I finally got to see a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker at the
    bottom of the track at the top of the Ivy trees so I was over the moon but
    the only downfall was it was as quick as a flash and had no time to
    photograph it, I hung around the same spot for half hour but it didn't
    show again, I only got to see it because I was looking at some LTT'S
    through the bins and it came out of the top of the Ivy on the underside
    of a branch and by the time I'd got my camera ready it had flown across
    to a nearby tree but must of been on the other side of it, but at least I got
    to see it and a big first for me so still chuffed.

    Other birds there and in my garden were, Nuthatch, Robin, Redwing,
    Blue & Great Tits, LTT'S, Dunnock, Wood Pigeon, Jay, Jackdaw,
    Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Treecreeper, Mistle Thrush and Sparrowhawk.


























3 comments:

Bradshaw Rambler said...

Excellent spot Dave.
I believe it's a good while since Lesser Pecker was seen diwn there.
There's hope for me yet.
Next on your agent ... a photo of one.
Great stuff.
(please txt me - I've lost your mobile number)
Jealous John

David Sutcliffe said...

Love the photos Dave. Nice one with the LSW - was hoping you might have got a shot but great to know at least one is still there.

Dave Brotherton said...

A lady down there said she'd seen it regularly John, so there's hope yet. If I hadn't been watching the LTT's I would of missed it.

There was also drumming coming from across the field in the trees just below the houses at the bottom of the track Dave.