Sunday 8 April 2018

Super Soil Hill


     Took a trip up to Soil Hill today, a place that I dread to
     go to if I'm being honest but it was well worth it today,
     the first bird I saw was a distant Buzzard and with it was
     a Red Kite which I didn't realise at the time until I put my
     pics on the computer, my next bird was a Snipe which flew
     up just in front of me, lots of Skylark up there along with
     Meadow Pipits, down at the bottom pond were 4 Oystercatchers,
     Wood Pigeon, Lapwings, Mallard and a Duck that I couldn't make
     out, then up popped what looked like a Ring Ouzel from the trees
     disturbed by a couple of Magpies, I'm 90% sure it was but at that
     distance I'll call it a maybe and it only showed itself for seconds,
     2 Kestrel were busy hunting and one flew just by me low down
     but no chance of a pic as it had sneaked up on me from behind,
     back at my car I seen a Pied Wagtail dancing around on the
     water board building roof.

    Next I took a drive up to Castle Carr Rd where I seen Curlew
    flying up towards Fly Flatts, Little Owl was chilling on a wall
    a few Meadow Pipits and Pheasant were other birds up there, I
    then went up to Nolstar in hope of Golden Plover and Dotterel
    but just got a few Lapwing but there were people riding
    about on a mud jeep in fields nearby so would of scared most
    birds off.

    Garden had Goldfinch, Blackbird, 2 Blue Tits which were checking
    out my nest boxes, 2 Collared Doves and 6 Greenfinch which are
    turning up in larger numbers all the time.

 

































                                                                                                 


2 comments:

Bradshaw Rambler said...

Good do Dave.
Great to get Red Kite up there.
Nice one with the Ring O, they blend in well with the scrub and bushes up there.
My next bird on this year's list along with LSW etc. etc. etc.....
John

Dave Brotherton said...

The Kite and the Buzzard were low down when I started up the main track but they were miles high by the time I'd walked up to the top pond and they stook together all the time thats why I thought they were both Buzzards.