Friday 2 February 2018

Todays Outing and Garden Visitors


     Day off work and weather cold but bright so I decided to
     venture out today but it was one of those days where having
     a garden watch was more productive. The day started well
     with a Peregrine Falcon high up above Dean Clough as I came
     out of the gym so with spirits high I collected my camera and
     binoculars and set off to Cold Edge Dams with the dog in tow
     for moral support, I couldnt believe theres still snow and ice up
     there and a bitter cold wind whistling past my ears.

     I was hoping to see the Pink Footed Goose that has been seen
     up there but me and another birder had a good scout of the area
     but to no avail so it might of set off in search of its pals, Greylag
     and Canada were in a field and on the pond, up on the dams were
     Mallard, Lapwings and Gulls so not a lot going on really and there
     was nothing above in flight, I then walked down the hill from the
     top Dam forgetting that there was a stream at the bottom so me and
     Ruby the dog got a wee bit wet, I then ventured up to Nolstar but
     nothing but Sheep and Crows, so with fingers crossed I drove down
     to Castle Carr Rd but it was the same there, but I did get a bonus
     with seeing a Little Owl spying on me which cheered the day up.

    I was then gonna pop down to Cromwell Bottom NR but Ruby looked
    like she'd had enough so I took her home and just had a garden watch
    and I'm glad I did as I spotted 2 Goldcrest which is a first for my garden
    but couldn't get a shot of them because they got spooked by the
    neighbours cat but hopefully they'll visit again, Goldfinch were on the
    feeders in good numbers, 2 Greenfinch and a Robin were also flitting
    about and a Sparrowhawk zooming through but didn't catch anything,
    7 Redwing flew over with 2 of them having a bit of an argument with
    a Magpie and about 15 Gulls soaring around above in the blue sky, 2
    Collared Dove and a Blackbird were also in the garden.

   




                                          Nolstar
                                          Peek a Boo



                                          Stoodley Pike

                                          Wainstalls





















2 comments:

Bradshaw Rambler said...

Love the Little Owl shots Dave - you can't beat 'em.
Nice to see the blog up and running again.
John

Dave Brotherton said...

I know there little belters and cheers John