Monday 26 February 2018

Sad Scarborough


   I took my monthly trip out with the Hudds & Halifax RSPB
   and it turned into a disaster of a day, well for me anyway,
   I got up in the morning and all was well and the garden
   was buzzing with Bullfinch, Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Blue Tit,
   Blackbird, Greenfinch, and for the last couple of mornings
   2 Stock Dove have been visiting which is nice to see, got to
   the meeting place to be told we wouldn't be going to
   Flamborouth Head (which is the place I wanted to go to)
   because the coach had broken down and had to wait for a
   replacement so we were going to Scarborough and Filey.

   Scarborough after 3 different drop off points produced zilch
   oh I tell a lie a Red Throated Diver and a Med Gull were 20
   mile out to sea, actually a couple of Med Gull landed below
   the cliff we were stood on but too far away for photographs
   and lucky to see through a scope, Turnstones were in the
   harbour but packed with tourists.

  Filey, I thought great we'll visit Filey Dams as Ive heard its
  good there but have never been, oops cancelled so we'll just
  stick to the Nature Reserve because a Velvet Scoter has been
  seen out at sea, plenty of Oystercatchers when we arrived and
  then Cormorant & Shag flypast, so off we went on the hunt for
  the rarity after a long old walk we reached the edge of the cliff
  in a biting cold wind we searched and searched but to no avail,
  a Common Scoter, 2 Eider, 2 Gannet were seen but yet again a
  long way out to see but there were 4 Purple Sandpiper down by
  the rock pools, so I set off back inland where a single Sand Martin
  flew into a hole in the sand cliffs and 5 Redshank were strolling
  about in a field. On the way home a Barn Owl and Buzzard seen.

  I do love going on the trips but I think I'll give this one a miss if
  they go next year, I usually take between 500-600 pics on trips on
  this one 150 and some of them were buildings and scenery.






























   

2 comments:

Bradshaw Rambler said...

No snow there Dave?
Say your prayers for the Sand Martin!
John

Dave Brotherton said...

Plenty of snow there now John, I got two lifers which was a good point about the trip with 2 Rock Pipit and Purple Sandpiper, I enjoyed the company but for photography and birding it was pants really.