Wednesday 25 October 2017

Smelly Swalesmoor

   I got off my backside this afternoon and took a walk up
    Ringby lane and then down Hag Lane, Ringby was a struggle
    with the horrible smell of dead animals drifting up my nostrils
    and gale force winds along the top, 100's of Crows & Magpies
    and a nice surprise of a Peregrine which flew into a crowd of
    Crows and then back out again and headed off over Halifax
    Town Centre it was too fast to photograph though and the wind
    made it fly even faster, I was on the lookout for Snow Bunting
    on the top field and I did disturb a bunting sized bird which flew
    up out of the tussocks of grass and away it went but too fast to
    identify  as it was blown away by the wind, a Robin sized bird
    was on the wall for about 2 seconds before that decided to
    disappear as well, at the bottom of the lane were 2 Goldfinch
    and a Chaffinch.

    Hag Lane--:
 
    Not much to be seen as I walked along the wet and muddy lane,
    4 Blackbirds, 10 Wood Pigeon, 2 Blue Tit, 1 Goldcrest and a
    Robin, feeling disappointed for a while but then I was cheered
   up by the sight of a Little Owl in a tree which is a new one for
    me as Ive always seen them on Dry Stone walls.
    A feral pigeon made me laugh as it decided to walk along the
    lane and back again with me and it walked all the way, the only
    time it took flight was when we got to the end of the lane and
    even then it wasn't a proper flight it was more like a hop.
    A lady I was talking to said she'd seen 2 Buzzard flying over
    the valley earlier in the day and said she see's them regular
    flying up from the woods, 2 rabbits were playing on the hill
    beneath the trees.
    Goldfinch, Collared Dove and a Wood Pigeon were in the
    garden along with a Robin and a Wren and a Kestrel was
    hunting over the back field.

 











1 comment:

Bradshaw Rambler said...

Little Owls are just great Dave.
Lovely photos of it as well
John