Sunday 29 October 2017

Fly Flatts Glory


   Woke up this morning to 6 Greenfinch, 8 Goldfinch, 1 Coal Tit,
   1 Wren, 1 Robin and 2 Blackbird. I was then undecided where to
   go for the morning, Rodley Mmmm Fly Flatts Mmmm Cromwell
   Bottom Mmmm then a text came through the grapevine from BS
   that a Ring Ouzel was still up there, so that made up my mind and
   off I went, BS gave me the location of the bird which I was greatful
   for or I would of been walking around like a headless chicken,
   anyway I decided to take the long way round the lake and at first
   wish that I hadn't after twice getting my boots lost in a bog, but
   then I spotted 2 small birds on the ground which turned out to Twite
   confirmation needed though, I was well chuffed as I haven't seen any
   for a few years in Calderdale, 10 minutes later up popped the Ring
   Ouzel and what a beautiful bird it is, hopping about and feeding well.
   4 Stonechat and 6 Meadow Pipits were seen up there and on Castle
   Carr Rd were 4 Fieldfare in a distant field.
   I bumped into DF who was skywatching up Fly Flatts but the sky
   was very quiet, we had a good natter about Gulls and Harriers but
   I really am poop at gull identification.

 












3 comments:

Danny said...

Good pictures Dave, love the elusive Ring Ouzel, Well Done! worth the long trek and losing your boots in the mud.
Nigel.

Bradshaw Rambler said...

Hey up Dave,
I remember seeing you on Soil Hill chasing Ring O's.
You were looking a tad hot under the collar I think.
Glad you got 'em and the pictures are really marvelous.
The Twite is a real bonus a very, very rare bird (I've never had a local Twite).
Well done.
If you need some spare boots I've got some.
Might cost you a Toe or 5 (for you to fit into them though) - I'm a size 8.
John

Dave Brotherton said...

Thanks lads, haha i got them back but a wee bit wet and muddy, I went back to my days in the SAS to get the shots of these birds but glad I did, it was worth it.